Programme for Prevention and Control of Leptospirosis (Zoonosis Division)
Leptospirosis is public health problem in Gujarat, Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra & Andaman. Frequent outbreaks of leptospirosis are being reported, predominantly affecting young adult males. The disease is easily treatable and the mortality is preventable if detected and treated early.
Under XII plan, Programme for Prevention and Control of Leptospirosis has been approved and is being implemented in six endemic states as mentioned above. The strategy includes-
- Strengthening of diagnostics laboratories for early diagnosis
- Strengthening of patient management facilities
- Trained manpower development,
- Strengthening of inter sectoral coordination
- Create awareness in general community.